Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Patriotic Trip Around the World!

This is a quilt that I made as a Thank You to our friend Christine.  It didn't take me long to decide on a Patriotic theme for Chris as her camp is filled with Red, White, and Blue items, flags and more, in honor of her family who has proudly serviced our country!


I decided to use five fabrics in the quilt using red, white, & blue, as the color choices and flags and stars as theme fabrics.  Once I collected the color and design fabrics I thought they would fall wonderfully into a Trip Around the World Pattern. This is the quilt with one layer of each fabric. 


And this is the quilt completed.  It measures 60" square - my favorite size for a couch.







I machine quilted this quilt on my Pfaff.  Can you see the Stars?!  This is my first attempt at a free-motion meandering star design.  




 I love the way that the red variegated thread shows up on the back. It was however a bit lost on the busy trip around the world pattern on the front  :)



3 comments:

ladybird57 said...

Beautiful - great job! What was the size of each strip or block? Thanks!

Marie Joerger said...

Thank you Ladybird57! I used stripes which I cut 4". This works down to 3-1/2" which works out to a 60" square quilt after adding the binding.

ladybird57 said...

Thanks for the measurements. I am planning on making one soon.