Tuesday, January 31, 2012

2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge - January - Just in time!!

Quick blog to update that I have done the January portion of the 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge.

Here are some shots of my practice for SewCalGal's FMQ  Challenge.
 




Then I tried practicing on the border of  my this week's practice piece for
Leah Day's Quilt-Along



Here's the original practice with the straight line free motion quilting.

No big problems with the plain straight line sewing though I believe a lots more practice is in my future.....

Then I played with stippling tight, medium, and larger...  Then I drew lines and practiced more free motion...

And then 'stitch in the ditch'....
And..... below is the biggest problem I ran into this week....
Odd thing is that I didn't 'feel' it when it happened but found it when I tipped it over...
Thread issues!  
Any ideas on what happened here???  Oh well, Unsew and resew it when I go back and get that one line I missed....  did you notice???

11 comments:

Danih03 said...

Very nice leaves! Well done!

Pat Merkle said...

Your quilting looks great. Love the heart leaves.

Anne said...

Your lines are amazingly straight!

Marie Joerger said...

Thanks for the wonderful comments! I think Leah is right in that we are our own worst critics as I was worried that my lines were a bit wobbly :) Aren't these quilt-a-long's great??

Mike Pearson said...

I love the leaves. Regarding the thread issue. This happens to me when I forget to put the foot back down. It's hard to notice it's not down sometimes when using a free motion/darning foot because it does not go all the way down when it is actually down.

Anne said...

Yes, it's great - and lovely to be able to share the experience via our blogs!

sisbabestitches said...

Such great quilting. Your cross hatch lines look so straight and even.

Bouts Choisis said...

All your quilting is lovely!

Lois Kindley, longarm quilter said...

Girl, you are SEW busy!! Love the leaves!! Love the good tension you get (99% of the time) on the back with your new machine. :D Hey have you seen this blog...http://lilysquilts.blogspot.com/2012/01/fab-little-quilt-swap.html GREAT ideas. If you have it listed already as one you follow then, D’oh! Just had to share.

patsroamin said...

Your quilting is amazing. I agree with Mike about the thread issue and presser foot. I just had that happen to me. I find a bobbin can do that too, and just out of the blue. You're sewing along perfectly, and oops....

Candy said...

Your leaves are beautiful!!