Friday, June 10, 2011

Log Cabin 'Barn Raising'

My absolute favorite traditional quilt block is the Log Cabin.


My favorite way of putting together log cabin blocks is to make the center the same on all the blocks then use 3 lights and 3 darks.  
I number the lights and darks 123 then on one block I use the fabrics in a 123 order and the other a 321 order.  

Make sense?  Probably not.

Above is the 123 order and below the 321 order.  Notice that the inside purple above became the outside purple below.  Doesn't look like much yet.




Next is a picture when you put 2 of each of these blocks together.


 And when you add another row all the way around?

This pattern layout of the log cabin is known as 'Barn Raising.'

I have a finished quilt! Actually there is also binding added that matches the center color and brings the whole project together. The quilt seems a bit rounded in it's lines, that is because I made the light strips a 1/4" thinner than the dark and that creates the 'flow'.
This quilt measures only 13 1/2" square.  Looks a lot bigger doesn't it?  This quilt was a birthday gift I made for my wonderful friend Anita who loves purple and green and flowers!  I made her a tote bag to match...  But that's another day!

When I googled 'Log Cabin Quilt Pattern Tutorial' I got almost 500,000 hits.  Below are a couple of links I thought did a great job of explained 'how to'.  
Enjoy! 




7 comments:

Pomona said...

It looks beautiful - I love the colour combination!

Pomona x

Nitalinb said...

Gorgeous.

Carol at Serendipity said...

Marie,

I love the color combination. Nice job.

Carol

Marie Joerger said...

Thank you so much for the lovely comments! Marie

PeggyR said...

WOW that's gorgeous, thanks for posting on my blog and becoming a follower!

rubyslipperz1052 said...

O!! Your log cabin is soooo pretty!
I like the idea of...123...then, 321...I've not thought of that. =)

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com
=) new follower =)

SewSofie said...

Hi Marie,
Thanks for following my blog. Love your work. Those bright colours are what make me happy too. Happy quilting ;)